Monday, July 04, 2005

It looks like crap

So I'm sitting on my couch right now taking a break from my weekend project of painting the back bedroom and bathroom hallway. My arms, legs and hands are for the most part spotted with the milk chocolate colored paint.. if it were more purple hued then it would look like I had been beaten. I'll have to remember to scrub it off before I go to a fourth-of-july cookout tonight!

I love the smell of wet paint. Maybe because it reminds me of my childhood.. that time at my dad's house when my sister and I painted the white bathroom walls teal with feather dusters.. or in ninth grade when my then-bestfriend Rachel and I worked for two months to peel off her wallpaper and slather her walls with a bright purple. Maybe i just love the smell because it is the smell of inspiration. Of a fresh start. Of something new. It's making a mark on something, making something beautiful, or at least different. A little piece of yourself. I've tried to count the number of rooms I've painted in my life. To this point, it's around 17.

The latest paint project is something I've been wanting to do for a long time. I hate white walls in a bedroom. I feel like they just scream out for some color, for some personality. In my old apartment the walls used to be bright yellow, the bathroom was lime green, and my bedroom was light blue. In my new house, the dining room is red, bedroom is periwinkle, and bathroom is yellow. What can I say, I love color. But, brown is a departure for me. I don't do neutrals. But, about two years ago I was flipping through a pottery barn catalog when I saw a picture of a chocolate-brown room with white and black accessories. I loved it and have had it in the back of my mind ever since. I can't say I've totally adjusted to the new color. When my friend Michael was helping me paint yesterday, He painted the first stroke against the wall. My first reaction was shock. "It looks like crap," I said. He acted hurt, asking what he did wrong. I laughed. "No, it really looks like crap. The color is the same color as crap."

So much for trying neutrals. I think next time I'll paint something different, something I haven't painted before... Problem is, I can't think of any color that I haven't already used.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home