Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Charleston epiphany

I wasn't all that impressed with Charleston, not at first at least. I spent most of my afternoon Saturday soaked from shopping on King Street in the rain, and feeling like a wet rat trying to seek shelter is sleek shops that I wasn't good enough to step into. I did find a shoe store that had an entire clearance section of size 12 shoes (!) but my jaw dropped when i saw the label and the price tag.. $550 for a pair of Manolo Blahniks.

I did have fun going to the market afterwards and drinking a few bottles of champaigne with friends and this swanky sushi place, but I just didn't feel like Charleston was all it was hyped up to be.

On Sunday my friend Britt and her fiancee just wanted to stay at home, and I was feeling a little restless. So, I decided to go shopping at the mall, got lost and ended up wandering around the cutest historic neighborhood near downtown Charleston. It was something about the tight rows of 150 year-old houses, their intricate iron gates, giant white columns, plantation shutters and the large magnolias drapped with spanish moss that got to me. I liked that people were running on the sidewalks, scootering through the narrow streets, pushing baby buggies and walking dogs. It was an old neighborhood but one that is very much alive.

I parked my car and started aimlessly walking by the huge houses when I saw it. #5 Lowdnes Street... a White two story house with three dormer windows, black shutters and a door frame that is topped by an antique arched window. My dream house. I've pictured it in my mind for years, and always drew its layout when I was bored in class. I've always had it in my head, but never saw a house in real life that looked so much like it.

Sunday afternoon completely changed my perception of Charleston. After wandering on my own I fell in love with the architcture and the history of the place. I could see myself there. I want to live there. I know I could probably never afford any of the houses in the historic district, but I decided to add Charleston to the top of places where I want to live in my life. (Along with Atlanta, DC, New York and others!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home