Wednesday, February 15, 2006

the FEMA trailer train


I was walking from the apartment complex gym Monday morning when something caught my eye.. at the far end of the complex, toward the railroad tracks... there was a long train of white identical camper type trailers, all headed to the west.

They were going to New Orleans and the Mississippi Gulf Coast... FEMA trailers going to victims from Hurricane Katrina.

It was very surreal, to see one white, one-windowed trailer after another glide passed the apartment complex where I live. Because the track is built up higher than where I was standing, the trailers were almost parallel with my third floor apartment. Quite a juxtaposition.

While I haven't necessarily enjoyed living in an apartment complex instead of a house for the past three months, seeing hundreds of those tiny trailers glide past made me realize how lucky I am. It could be worse, God was reminding me. Be thankful for what you have.

And I'm sure that, even though the little white trailers all look the same- like a little white, squarish marshmellows- the evacuees too are probably thankful for what they have. I'm sure some of them, like me, realize that even though life isn't always what you expect, it could always be worse, and that you should be thankful for what you've got.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home