Sunday, February 21, 2010

A sign of spring

A little more than a week ago, there was snow on the ground. We bundled K up in her red peacoat, sweater and monkey cap and plopped in her a chair in the middle of the powder-covered backyard for a photo opportunity.



Nine days later, the temperature is nearing 70, it's sunny and beautiful. And I CAN'T wait for spring. For me spring is something special this year. Last year at this time I was huge and uncomfortable in my third trimester. I was anxious to meet our daughter. I was miserable with backaches and the lack of appetite and lack of ability to breathe.

This year, I have a soon-to-be toddler who is a laughing, smiling baby girl who is experiencing the world for the first time.

Spring is new this year, and I'm so excited for her to relish in everything it has to offer for the first time: Namely the weather.

So, this afternoon, Mr. Goatee and I sat on our back deck in the first itme in probably a year and a half and ate lunch. We pulled out K's highchair so she could take part in our little picnic-at-home.



Our little impromptu outdoor lunch inspired me. I hadn't touched the backyard since before I got pregnant, but it was about time something was done. There were two seasons worth of dead leaves and I wasn't even sure if we had grass anymore.

But I want K to have a backyard to play in this summer, once she starts walking. I want to be able to put out a baby pool and have her play in it. As I sat having lunch today, I imagined a Little Tikes playset with a little slide out in the yard.

So I spent four hours raking and cleaning out the flower beds while K took a nap and then played with Daddy. I can already tell that my back is going to pay for it tomorrow. But I'm so excited about making some progress on our yard, and really can't wait for spring to really hit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home