Sunday, July 24, 2005

Past the glitter stage

On Wednesday night I found myself in a giant auditorium surrounded by a few thousand adolescent girls wearing skimpy shiny hot pink halter tops, sequined belts and metallic purses. Yes, I went to a Kelly Clarkson concert. I thought it was kind of funny, that I was about 10 years older than anyone else in the place who wasn't a parent. I felt even worse for Mr. Goatee, who had bought the tickets and went with me to the concert for my 24th birthday. He, almost 27, was obviously a fish out of water and it was funny to watch him uncomfortably squirm. It was about halfway through the concert though that I started to realize how I too was one of the minority "old" people there. Kelly was singing a song... one of my favorites that I knew every word too.. and the whole crowd was jumping up and down.. and I wanted to, I really did. I let down my inhibitions and started to move my knees. Then, Kelly pointed the microphone out to the audience for us to sing the words... and, it sounded like a children's choir. My knees stopped. Oh crap, I really am too old for this. After the concert on the walk back to the car, I started examining the little girls with their way-too skimpy glittery clothing and wishing I had a sweater for them to cover them up. I thought about how, when I was their age, I would have never have worn anything like that. No, no, back in my day (pre-brittney spears) girls wore t-shirts and jeans, timberland boots and polar fleeces. No glitter. No halter bras. But, I guess I'm passed that stage. I realized that night, that I think, at 24, I'm finally an adult. ACK!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home