Tuesday, August 16, 2005

My Bestfriend's Wedding, Part II

My hair had fallen straight and I was a tad bit sweaty from dancing barefoot to "Sweet Home Alabama" at the reception of Britt's wedding when I overheard a girl complaining in the women's bathroom. She was a girl that Britt had cheered with in High School, and she was telling an older woman that she came to the wedding thinking that it would be like a cheerleading squad reunion, and was surprised that she hardly knew anyone there. All of Britt's bridesmaids were either sorority sisters or friends from college. The girl said she was shocked. Then, she started talking about how, after people get married, her friends start to drop off and she never hears from them anymore.

At this point I had had five glasses of white wine, but I clearly remember knowing exactly what she meant. Britt's wedding is the sixth wedding I have been in, the fourth since 2001. The first, was Sheila. I haven't heard from her in a year. I can't say that she and I stopped talking for any specific reason, but we grew apart. Every christmas, after the "Hi, how are you?" and "What have you been up to?" We had nothing else to talk about. We were at different points in our lives. A year ago, we got into a heated series of emails when she tried to tell me that I needed to give up on my "cosmopolitan" years and "embrace my Good Housekeeping" side. I replied that I appreciated her advice, but that we didn't really have anything in common anymore. I never heard from her again. With Samantha and Betsy, it was all a little less dramatic, but still, things change once your friends get married.

I was thinking about the bathroom girl's comment when I walked back out into the reception hall and Britt and her groom Wes were preparing to leave for their Honeymoon. Britt grabbed me, gave me a big hug and kiss on the cheek and said thank you for being there for her, for being her bestfriend. I got really emotional. I went up to Wes, gave him a hug and told him to take care of her for me. He said he "always will" and turned to run through the crowd of sparklers and bubbles with Britt.

I stood behind, watching them leave, and couldn't help but wonder, will this one be different? She is my besfriend, and I don't want things to change. But I know they will. I just hope that my friendship with her will endure the distance and this new phase of her life. I'm optimistic that it will.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home