Thursday, July 28, 2005

On my knees in a bathroom

I was on my knees scrubbing someone else's soap scum and hair off of a bathtub floor when I thought to myself that this must be how hotel maids feel. I also was wondering how I had gotten myself into the situation again. No, not cleaning someone else's bathroom again, but that motherly role of taking care of someone else. I helped Mr. Goatee move in his apartment tonight, helped him carry loads of clothes, posters and guitars up three flights of stairs, helped him arrange furniture and... yes... clean his bathroom and kitchen. The decorating and furniture arranging part I really didn't mind. It's something I enjoy. But, at the same time I couldn't help but question how I had gotten in the situation again. I don't want a relationship, but it feels so great to be needed, to have some in put on where to hang the picture or where to put the couch. And, the great thing is, Mr. Goatee is ok with it. When I was in the 6-year relationship, I tried to surprise my ex by helping to decorate his apartment by making drapes or letting him borrow furniture and pictures. But, he would get aggravated over it and frustrated. And now, here I am, helping to decorate another guy's apartment. He and I are not in a serious relationship, and yet it is all so familiar and comfortable. That is, until I was on my knees wearing yellow rubber gloves and scrubbing the bathroom tub. It was at that point that I was reminded not to get too deep into anything I'm not ready for.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home