Monday, September 26, 2005

FEMA and my financial aid


Hurricane Katrina has had a huge affect on my life. No, I did not lose my home or any of my belongings to the storm. I lived for almost a week without power, but that hardly qualifies me as being a victim of the hurricane. But according to the U.S. government I am. That's because Tuscaloosa County was declared a disaster area by FEMA. Which means, according to the U.S. Department of Education, I don't have to pay my financial aid until February 2006. I AM ECSTATIC about it... and just found out about it tonight. But, I can't help feeling a little guilty. My home, car, pets and family are fine. I still have a job to go to. I am blessed, compared to the thousands of people in Louisiana and Mississippi who have it a lot worse than I do. Katrina was a horrible disaster, but a small part of me is thankful for the things that have occured after the storm, including:

1. While covering the storm's aftermath I have met some of the most amazing people who have had to evacuate their homes because of the storm. I guess it's a little like covering a war zone or after any major disaster. I never thought I would be in such a situation where something would affect so many lives so drastically. I met people who had lost contact with their loved ones who were stuck in their attics, people who were volunteering here in Tuscaloosa despite having lost their home a second time to a hurricane, and people who were looking to startover. It has made a huge impact on my view of why I love my job. It's because I feel I can make a difference.

2. My relationship with God has strengthened. I guess every christian has a similar experience after a disaster or tragedy, but I feel like after wondering for so long what his purpose was in my life and praying for him to use me for his will, he made his work evident to me after the storm. I was supposed to meet the Strickland family for a reason. Only, I didn't know it at the time.

3. I am more thankful for the little things.

4. I've been stressing over money lately. Ok, so the FEMA deferrment only postpones my eventual loan payoff for another 4 months, but it will help me now immensely.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home